Coastal Explorer™ is a sophisticated, full-featured, easy-to-use navigation software package designed specifically for the pleasure boater.
With support for more charts and chart formats than any other recreational navigation system, advanced route planning features, integrated gazetteer and guide books, virtual instrument display, and obstacle alerts, Coastal Explorer will help you make your next cruise safer and more enjoyable.
The gazetteer includes millions of places in the US, Canada, and Mexico and many more countries are available. You can find any of these places on the chart by simply entering a name into the Search box!
Guidebook information from ActiveCaptain and other sources is tightly integrated into Coastal Explorer’s charts. Sailing directions from the US Coast Pilot® are also included.
Coastal Explorer makes it easy to plan your next cruising adventure with features like multi-level undo, powerful route manipulation tools, and route obstacle detection.
Coastal Explorer uses documents instead of a hidden database to keep track of all of your routes, waypoints, boundary areas, and other marks so you can organize them however you want. You can even share them with your friends using email or a USB Flash Drive!
Coastal Explorer can predict tide levels and tidal currents at all official US stations. Predictions for other countries are also available in some chart products. Tide predictions are presented in easy to read graphs along with daily high, low, and slack water times.
Weather forecasts are presented in both text and graphical formats and are easily downloaded when you have internet access. Current weather conditions are also displayed when available.
Split the screen into two, three, or four charts with a single key or button press. There’s no need to resize or rearrange windows; Coastal Explorer takes care of it for you!
Orient the chart with North Up, Heading Up, or Course Up and let Coastal Explorer automatically scroll the chart to keep your boat centered or near the edge so you can see more of what’s ahead.
Voice Alerts are used to warn you of waypoint arrivals, depths out of range, and even charted obstacles along your path!
Virtual Instrument panels show you information from your electronics in large, easy to see displays. Coastal Explorer includes an analog compass with waypoint arrow, analog wind, cross track error, and rudder angle displays, depth and temperature graphs, and many digital display options.
Use the Ship’s Log to keep track of your voyages and even share them with friends and family back home. Coastal Explorer provides you with three separate log books; one for notes, one that’s private, and one that you can share as a “blog” on the internet.
Coastal Explorer lets you choose the types of charts you want to use from Rose Point, NOAA, the US Army Corps of Engineers, Canadian Hydrographic Services, C-MAP, and more.
A complete set of US Charts in both raster and vector formats is included, and Coastal Explorer helps you keep your charts up-to-date by automatically downloading updates when they are available.
With chart quilting, there’s no need to figure out which charts to open. Just zoom in, out and scroll and the right charts will appear seamlessly quilted together.
Learn about Rose Point's Charts for British Columbia
Coastal Explorer can use and display information from your GPS, heading sensor, depth sounder, autopilot, water speed and temperature sensors, wind and weather instruments, RADAR, and AIS receiver. Most NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000® interfaces are supported.
- Display raster charts
- Display vector charts
- Chart Portfolio management tools
- Automatic chart updates
- Seamless “quilted” chart display
- North-Up, Heading-Up, Course-Up and arbitrary chart orientation
- Document based route and mark management
- Advanced voyage planning tools
- Unlimited routes
- Unlimited waypoints
- Unlimited range/bearing lines
- Unlimited boundary circles, lines, and areas with alarms
- Unlimited undo and redo
- Simulated Navigation (“dead reckoning” mode)
- Superior route manipulation tools
- Route obstacle detection
- GPS Navigation
- Transfer routes, marks, and tracks to/from GPS and other programs
- GPX file import and export
- Record tracks and events
- Scaled vessel display (for own-ship and AIS targets)
- Powerful searching
- Unit conversion calculator
- Integrated US Coast Pilot information
- Coastal Explorer Network Community Guide Book
- ActiveCaptain Interactive Cruising Guidebook
- Tide and Current Predictions
- Text Weather Forecasts
- Graphical Weather Forecasts
- GRIB File Display
- Wether radar display
- Data Buoy and METAR Weather Observations
- NAVTEX Message Display (requires NAVTEX receiver)
- Online Ship’s Log
- Split screen configurations
- Save customized screen configurations for quick access
- Day, Dusk, and Night Display Modes
- Customizable instrumentation display
- Analog-style and digital instrument displays
- Full Screen options
- Supports multiple GPS receivers and other sensors with priorities and automatic fail-over
- Autopilot control
- Depth sounder support
- Wind and weather sensor support
- AIS Vessel Display
- AIS Dead-Reckoning
- RADAR Target Display
- DSC Position Report Display
- Buddy tracking with proximity alerts
- Video camera support
- Integrated Help system
- Integrated marine glossary and abbreviations
- Product support via email
- Online support forum
- Telephone support line
- Rose Point Charts for British Columbia
- C-MAP MAX/PC
- NOAA RNC®
- NOAA ENC®
- US Army Corps of Engineers IENC
- Admiralty AVCS
- Canadian Hydrographic Service Digital Charts
- NV. Charts
- ENC (S-57/S-63)
- BSB Versions 1-5
- Maptech RML and PCX
- SoftChart and PhotoChart
- NMEA 0183 and NMEA 0183-HS
- NMEA 2000 ® via Rose Point Nemo Gateway, Actisense NGT-1, or Maretron USB-100
- Garmin Binary Interface (serial and USB)
- Standard PC Communications (COM) Port
- Raw NMEA 0183 over TCP or UDP port
- DirectShow compatible video sources
- AXIS Network Video Cameras and Servers
- MotionJPEG compatible network video cameras and other sources
- NMEA 0183 NAVTEX Interface
- Raw NAVTEX
- NASA Marine PC Navtex USB
- PC with Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- 500 MB or more available hard drive space (actual requirements depend on installation options)
- DVD-ROM drive or internet access for program and chart installation
- Super VGA (800×600) or higher resolution monitor, 1024×768 or higher is recommended
- NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000, or Garmin compatible GPS and/or other marine electronics with an appropriate PC interface
- Internet access required for some features